Sunday, January 7, 2018

GREAT LOVE for us: Advent Week 4 the YNP edition


The cold air stung my throat with each breath, but I barely noticed. The wolves had just woken up and were playing out in the sage. I had spent countless hours reading about this wolf pack, looking at pictures of them, and watching YouTube videos about them. But seeing them with my own eyes out there in the wild—well, I just couldn’t believe it!

Lamar Valley
 And then I saw her. F926, the female leader (alpha) of the Lamar Valley wolf pack. I sucked in my breath and couldn’t even move! There she was right in plain sight and I could feel my heart thudding under my thick layers of clothing.
 
F926, taken by Kathy Rowland.
http://www.yellowstonewolf.org/yellowstone_wolf_detail.php?log_id=2080
My husband Vern was grinning ear to ear as he set up the scope and focused in on the wolf pack. The kids were standing with eyes popping out of their heads with excitement. We all knew that if we could see them this good with the naked eye, seeing them with the scope was going to rock our worlds!

Vern knew that I had a “thing” for F926, and so he had carefully focused in on her. I’m not sure what it is about her that attracts me. Perhaps the fact that she is the daughter of the famous F832 alpha female that could take down bull elk without any help. Perhaps it was that she had endured the deaths of 3 mates and 2 litters of pups in just under 18 months and continued to show a fierce drive to live.

Or maybe what really fascinated me was the notch in her right ear that clearly had a story behind it that nobody could tell. Perhaps it had happened in that fight they had with the 12 wolves from the Prospect Peak a few years back when her mate, M925 had acted as a decoy so she could escape. He didn’t survive the attack.

I lowered my eye to the optical, hands shaking with excitement.

She looked incredibly wild. The sun was just rising and it caught the rusty brown highlights in her dark brown fur as she pointed her nose into the wind for a good sniff. Even from this distance, you could see her green eyes dancing as the sun greeted her face. Then she effortlessly turned and trotted towards the elk herd nearby, the rest of the pack following loosely behind.

F926 to the left of the elk
I knew we would all be content to stay there at the Jackson Overlook for the next few hours, despite the cold temperatures. Just being near the wolves was thrilling and we wanted to have that feeling for as long as we could.

I imagine that is how we are meant to feel about being with Jesus. That we are so thrilled and content being in His presence that we don’t ever want to leave.

Did you know that Jesus feels the same way about us? He wants to be with each one of us so badly that He became human and sacrificed His life so we could be together for eternity. There is no greater love than that. (John 15:13)

Family time.
1. Play a game. Have you ever heard the phrase “I love you to the moon and back”? Make up a new phrase that tells how much you love your family.
2.  At some time in your life, you have experienced excitement at seeing someone or something. Share with the family about that. Why were you so excited about it? Is there anything that could’ve made that experience even more exciting?
3. Seeing and holding a baby is very exciting, particularly for the parents and family. But unlike other babies, Joseph and Mary and many others (the shepherds, the wisemen) knew exactly why Jesus had been born. How do you think that changed their excitement? Is it possible to have that kind of excitement for a normal human baby? Why or why not?
4. Read Revelation 1:7. Who will see Jesus when He comes back to earth? This verse says that some who see Him coming back to earth will be sad. Who do you think will be sad and why? Will you be sad when you see Jesus again? Why or why not?
5. We could only see the wolves from a distance, but when we see Jesus in eternity, He will be so close that we will be able to touch Him and talk to Him. What do you think that will be like? How is that going to be different from our experience with the Lamar Valley wolf pack?

No comments:

Post a Comment